Protect your student at college




“This information brought to you by Strassman Insurance Services, a proud member of Professional Independent Agents Association of Ohio, Inc.”

July 2015

Knowing if you have the right insurance coverage for your college child isn’t always black and white. Read our tips to make sure you haven’t overlooked any important considerations.

Auto insurance and college

Depending on your answers to these questions, you may have only limited or no auto protection for your college student in certain scenarios.

Call us so we can explain what your policy covers. We’ll also check for any applicable discounts, such as:

Note that when your child stops attending college or moves out of your house, that may change how and if he is covered by your policy. Inform us when this happens.


Are my child’s possessions covered by my homeowners insurance?

Yes, but there are drawbacks.

What about renters insurance?

If you want to provide your student at college with full coverage for the same types of losses covered by your homeowners policy, the best option is for the student to purchase renters insurance in his name. We can help you decide if your child needs such coverage.

The average cost of renters insurance is between $15 and $30 a month, according to the Ohio Department of Insurance.

What to know about health insurance

Don’t assume that the college’s clinic or hospitals and urgent care centers near campus are covered by your health policy. Check with your provider.


Discuss these simple precautions with your college student

Why would a college student need life insurance?

If a parent co-signed on private student loans, the parent is still responsible for that debt in the event the unthinkable happens.  You could owe thousands of dollars. An inexpensive term-life insurance policy would cover that cost.


Professional Independent Agents Association of Ohio, Inc.
600 Cross Pointe Road · Gahanna, OH 43230
p (614) 552-8000 · f (614) 552-0115 · toll-free (800) 555-1742 ·